Students, let Reeds Rains help you...

Posted 4/02/2016 by: Reeds Rains

Did you know that Reeds Rains do student lettings? As a student your rent will be on of your biggest monthly costs. The property you choose will be your home for the next academic year, so it’s important to make an informed decision. Reeds Rains is here to offer you advice and help you secure your next student property, contact your local branch to find out more or take a look at our advice below.


One of the first things you need to establish is how much you can afford to spend each month. Once you have found a property that you like, make sure you find out what’s included in that cost. Will it be furnished? Will bills be included? Is this for the whole year, including holidays?


How far away is your accommodation from your university? You might think you’re getting a good deal but if you are having to pay for transport every day it may be you could afford something a bit expensive but closer.


When choosing your housemates, it’s important to remember that you’ll be spending A LOT of time with them. If you have a friend who disappears when it’s their round at the bar, you might not want to be relying on them to help pay rent and bills!


Does the property have everything you need? A lot of student properties will come with essentials such as desks, so remember to check, and if it doesn’t ensure there’s room for one and anything else you will need.

Get your guarantor

Landlords will want to reference you to ensure that you can afford to pay your rent each month, as most students don’t have a renting history or full-time employment, you will probably need to seek a guarantor. 


You will be required to pay a deposit to secure the property; this is held to ensure that any damages can be corrected at the end of the tenancy. It may be worth splitting this equally with housemates, to prevent any disputes at the end of the tenancy, should anything need repairing. This means the remaining amount can be split equally, rather than somebody being left out of pocket.

Who is responsible?

If you are renting your property through a lettings agent, find out who you need to speak to if something needs repairing. This information will usually be in your welcome letter, if not speak to the lettings agent to find out.

Try to ensure whoever you rent from is regulated by an independent body like ARLA, this means agents will offer a high standard of care to tenants.