Top tips to keep you and your family Gas Safe
Gas Safety Week has arrived! Gas Safety Week takes place between the 19th -25th of September and is a national safety campaign run by the Gas Safe Register. Although gas safety is incredibly important throughout the year, Gas Safety Week aims to increase awareness of how important it really is.
If you have gas in your home or regularly use gas elsewhere, it's extremely important that you know the risks and also how to keep yourself and your family safe as badly fitted and poorly serviced gas appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning.
Stay safe and take a look at our top tips below...
- Get your gas appliances safety checked annually and only use a Gas Safe registered engineer to fix, fit and service your gas appliances
- Always check that your engineer is Gas Safe registered and always check their ID card, you can find out how to check an engineer is Gas Safe registered here
- Lazy yellow flames instead of crisp blue ones could be a sign your gas appliance isn't working correctly
- Look out for other signs your gas appliances aren't working properly such as black marks or stains or too much condensation in the room
- Know the signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide posioning - headaches, diziness, nausea, breathlessness, collapse and loss of conciousness
- Fit an audible carbon monoxide alarm
Don't forget, if you can smell gas call the emergency number on 0800 111 999.