Mandatory HMO Licences

If you own a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) – a rented property with shared facilities, you may need a licence to let. The mandatory licensing criteria regarding Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO), which came into effect in all local authorities in England on 01 October 2018, includes the following:


1. Mandatory Houses in Multiple Occupation Licensing Criteria

Any property occupied by five or more people, forming two or more households, who also share facilities such as the kitchen or bathroom, regardless of the number of storeys is subject to the HMO licensing criteria. 

A household is either a single person or members of the same family who live together. A family includes people who are:

  • married or living together - including people in same sex relationships
  • relatives or half-relatives, for example: grandparents, aunts, uncles, siblings
  • step parents and step children 


2. Minimum room size for sleeping

National minimum room sizes for sleeping are:

  • Minimum 4.64 square metres – one person under 10 years
  • Minimum 6.51 square metres – one person over 10 years
  • Minimum 10.22 square metres – two people over 10 years
  • Any room where the ceiling height is less than 1.5 metres cannot be used towards any minimum room size


3. Waste/Refuse disposal in accordance with the relevant local authority scheme

The HMO Licensing criteria is the requirement to comply with whatever the relevant local authority's scheme is for the storage space provided for and / or the disposal of any domestic refuse.

Please be assured the local authority cannot apply any commercial refuse collection charging as waste collection is a service routinely available to any residential property.


Reeds Rains is here to help

If you  have any  ueries please do not hesitate to contact us at