Back to Blog

News: Electrical safety rules changing in England on 1st July 2020

Posted 23/06/2020 by Reeds Rains
Categories: Landlords
Couple looking at a laptop

Following a consultation last year, the Government is finally introducing clear rules around electrical safety for privately rented properties in England.

From 1st July 2020, for all new tenancies, electrical installations must have been inspected and tested by a suitably-qualified person before the tenancy begins. The installation must be inspected and tested at least every five years – more often if specified on the report – and a copy of the written report given to the tenant.

This rule will apply to existing tenancies from 1st April 2021.

If the property is a new-build or has been completely re-wired, the electrical installation certificate (EIC) will be sufficient for 5 years, after which a new inspection will need to be carried out.

  • This new rule comes under The Electrical Safety Standards in the Private Rented Sector (England) Regulations 2020.
  • The written report will normally be an Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR).
  • If further investigations or repairs are required, they must be completed by a qualified person within 28 days of the inspection.
  • A copy of the report must be given to new tenants before they move in and to existing tenants within 28 days of the inspection. If your local authority requests a copy of the report, you must supply it to them within 7 days.
  • For HMOs, the new law replaces the existing requirements.
  • The report must be retained and a copy given to the person undertaking the next inspection.

If we manage your property on a Fully Managed or Rent Collect service, you should have by now received an email explaining next steps and how we can help you. If you have not received this, please contact your local branch. If you currently self-manage, you can find a suitably-qualified electrician via Electrical Safety First or the Electrical Safety Register. Anyone carrying out electrical work should be registered with NICEIC or a member of NAPIT. Do make sure you book any required inspection in good time, as there is bound to be huge demand over the next year.

For more information please see our Frequently Asked Questions page

If you have any further questions, please contact your local branch

Signup for Updates

Get the latest news from Reeds Rains direct to your inbox

Signup for Updates

Get the latest news from Reeds Rains direct to your inbox